Here it is November already! I’ll try to get you caught up a little on what has been going on around here. This post will get you through August and September. We have been busy, busy since my last post.
Here are some pictures of Emma playing catch with her cousin Jeremiah during a visit to my parents.
We got a couple of new toys to play with!
These were shot on our first ride. We went up the mountain you see from the front of our house. This is the first time I have ever been on a four wheeler, and boy is it FUN!! Here is Emma waiting while daddy closed the gate.
This is a shot of our house. In the photo, it looks like we are directly to the left of the pond, which is actually down the hill from our house.
This is the view from the top of the mountain – BEAUTIFUL!! The little puff of a cloud you see by the windmills is the steam from Mt. Storm Power Station, where Rodney works.
Emma took these pictures of Rodney and I. She is becoming quite the little photographer!
Emma competed in the Pine Car Derby at church. She had a fun painting her car. It was number 3 1/2 for her age. She was the runner-up for the ‘car’ division.
I started doing ‘twists’ with Emma’s ponytails, and this is what it looks like when I take them out. Too cute!
Over Labor Day weekend, we had a chance to visit with good friends Kim and Rick. Emma laid on the back of the couch to get away from their dog (even though he is a reeaalllyy sweet dog). She had a lot of fun on the trampoline with daddy.
Probably the BIGGEST thing that has happened is the Emma started preschool! We went to open house the week before it started, and she was bouncing along as we were walking in, then as soon as we hit the door, she became Ms. Clingy. It took a little bit, but I sat with her and started playing with playdoh, and soon she was playing also. Eventually I was able to stand by the table with her and before long she was playing in a different room.
Here is my beautiful, big girl on her first day of preschool.
Not a great picture of Emma, but it was the best shot I got of how she is writing her name. She definitely has the E down pat, then she has 3 squiggles for the m, m, and a. LOVE IT!
She had been talking about going to preschool for a while, and she was very excited. There weren’t any tears that morning, but they did say she cried a little in the morning. When I picked her up, she came running out and said, “I was fine when you were home without me!” I can’t believe how big she is!!
After the first day, Emma did start having some trouble adjusting to going to school. She started crying in the morning when she was dropped off. For a few days it was 10 – 15 minutes, then it was only a couple of minutes. We had more trouble at home. She was crying (well, more whining than crying), “But I’m gonna miss you mommy!” at home A LOT! She even woke up one Sunday morning crying because she had to go to school on Monday. It was so pitiful! A few nights she cried herself to sleep – huge crocodile tears – and always saying the same thing. When I would pick her up, she came running out yelling Mommy and she was always happy. She would tell me about her day and really seemed to be having a great time. Thankfully, after the first several weeks, all is well! She is so happy to be going to school – no tears, runs out to the car in the morning. She is constantly telling me that school is fun! It is such a great feeling! Now she is starting to fuss because she ISN’T going to school! I guess that is the life of a 3 year old!!
I don’t remember if I blogged this or not, but Emma has a new swingset this year. The one from last year ended up about halfway down the back yard after a windstorm. She has had a lot of fun playing on it this summer.
The third weekend in September, we went to Virginia for a long weekend. We got to visit with friends, including Kathi and her 2 girls, Meigan and Abbey. This was our first time meeting Abbey – what a sweetie! Their LID for Meigan was only 3 months before ours, but we got our referral 13 months after them, and they are 13 months apart in age.
We also made a stop at the Richmond Zoo. We used to live about 15 minutes from the zoo, but never went there! Now we drove 4 hours to go. Go figure!
My absolute favorite part was the giraffe’s! They have the area built up, so you can see them face to face while you pet and feed them. Emma did very well being near them. I was surprised. She wouldn’t hold out her hand to feed them, or even hold out the cup for them to eat from. No, she made them work for that food! She would drop one piece of food on the ground and they would stick their very long tongues out and lick the ground looking for that one piece of food! We let her carry
We let her carry her own cup of food around with just a few pieces in it. That was very interesting. I think she dropped that cup 20 times! And every time she stopped and picked up EVERY piece that dropped. Then she started stopping every time she saw a piece on the ground that someone else had dropped and put it in her cup.
For some reason, she was VERY brave with this poor peacock! She pretty much chased it around on the paths for about 5 minutes until it got smart enough to crawl through a fence where Emma couldn’t get it!
They have a sky ride at the zoo. I wasn’t sure how Emma would react, but she LOVED it. When we took off, she pointed to our shadow and said, “Look there are three people on there!”
We went for a walk in Colonial Williamsburg and caught the end of one of the recreated speeches going on, the joined in as everyone paraded down the street to the courtyard area where they brought out the horses and cannons. Emma was NOT a fan of the noise, so we left to look around some more. We didn’t get far before Emma fell and did a great job scraping her knees and hands. I ALWAYS have wipes and band-aids in my backpack – except today when I needed them. I wiped her as best I could with a tissue, and we started carrying her back to the truck, which was FAR away. Finally, I sat with her on a bench and Rodney came and picked us up. While we were waiting, we met a couple who had two little girls from China!
The main reason for our weekend trip was to attend our friend Megan’s wedding to Eric. It was a beautiful wedding, and they couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful day or setting!
Megan and Emma heading off to dance to ‘Love Shack.’
Emma’s preschool sold Little Caesar’s Pizza as a fundraiser, and I was making thank you cards for her to give the people who bought from her. We have a touch screen laptop, so I thought I’d have her write her name on it, then I could just insert it and print it out with the thank you’s. (I love technology!) She did so well with it! I love that I have it saved!
This was at the end of September. She has gotten even better since then. I need to have her try again!
Well, that’s a bit about what we did. I hope to do a post on October soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment