

For the most part, Emma did great on the trip to the orphanage. She slept for a while, played for a while, and , yes, cried for a while - but not too bad. She loved looking at her book of kittens. It was amazing how long it held her attention! At least to us - you would have to ask the others in the group - I think we have become immune to her crying somewhat!

As we got closer to the orphange, XiXi told us the area was known for making knives and other cutting products like clippers and scissors. We weren't scheduled to arrive at the orphange until 2:30, and we were a little early so we stopped to eat and shop a little. At the entrance, there were many people eating, but they took us to the back and gave us a private room. XiXi ordered several dishes for us to share - duck, spicy pork, oysters, fish. Luckily they gave us each a bowl of rice and served fried rice also. That was about all I ate. I did take one bite of the fish, oh, and some kind of vegetable that doesn't really have a name - it is just something they grow in that area. It was ok, but fishy. Later they brought out a plate of chicken (free range chicken, as XiXi said, lots of bones). I ate a piece of that and it was OK. After we ate, we shopped for a little while. I bought 2 ladels that had pandas on the handle and a few other things. My mind wasn't realy on shopping, so I just wandered around. I can't believe I didn't think to take a picture of this place!
Finally it was time to go to the orphanage. We met with the assistant director and some others in a room near the gate. We talked and asked questions. They filled our bottle with their formula for Emma, and she sucked it down quick! We found out that they mix several different things in her bottles - rice, formula, ground beans, and a couple other things. I guess that is why she didn't like ours too much! Everyone has said that her orphanage makes their bottles hot and thick, but the bottle they gave Emma was just a normal bottle temperature. It was thicker than most mixtures, but I would describe it as runny yogurt rather than like the pudding that had been described. It wasn't their normal feeding time, so what we got may have been leftover. We were allowed to take pictures here and of the gate and play yard. Two of her ayi's (nannies) came down, and Emma seemed to enjoy seeing them. They were able to get her to "talk" and play a little that we hadn't seen yet. Joy, the other mom, and I found out that our two babies were in cribs beside each other, and that they would play with each other. That was really wonderful to know! We will definately have to keep in touch!






This is the street the orphanage is on.

This is a statue in the center of town.



2 comments:
I'm so glad you took the trip to Yangdong. I felt it was one of the more important parts of our adoption journey as well.
I'm also glad they allowed you to view the baby rooms -- I think they stopped letting people up to see them for a while.
That little Sarah is also such a cutie, I love that your Emma Le & Sarah were "cribmates" -- we were able to find our daughter's "cribmates" (twins) and still keep in touch.
Enjoy the rest of your stay in Guangzhou!
Isn't it such a blessing to see the place where your daughter spent her early months. That is a priceless gift to give her. We loved having Xixi as our guide. She can make anything happen and we felt Harrah's took such good care of us. Your daughter is beautiful and truly meant for your family. So glad you're having a great trip.
Julie www.bohnstedt-journeytorowan.blogspot.com
Post a Comment